Thursday, July 18, 2013

Summah, summah, summah time.

The scene: a bright sunny day in SoCal, the Starbucks is filled with people working on their computers, texting on their phones, and chatting. The music is WAY too loud in my opinion, and the workers who are a mere 20 feet from me are kind of loud. OK, so maybe not the best environment for getting my grad homework done....but it's better than being on my couch at home, where I somehow always end up falling asleep mid-assignment. Well, it is HIGH TIME for some of my crazy stories on this little blog, here, wouldn't ya say? Sheesh. Since the last time I posted, my best friend got married, I went to the lake, I swam at the YMCA next to an 80 year old (give or take), I have made about 50 trips to Target, and I have almost gotten through 3 grad classes like a BOSS. Ha ha ha! The entire weekend of June 29 was one of the best I have had all summer. No, I declare is truly WAS my best weekend so far. Megan and Jeremy are a PRECIOUS couple that I got to stand beside as they said their vows and became Mr and Mrs. I think many of us kind of whispered, "It's about time!" as we heard them say "I do." Some stand-outs from the weekend: laughing non-stop with the Zwier ladies, seeing long-lost friends (Hi, Lisa! Hi, Nate!), dancing the night away under the beautiful sky, having a slumber party with Abby, and of course...seeing Megan and Jer look like they came out of a J Crew catalog. I am serious. Those two should be models. Sheesh. Not to mention....I got about 20 compliments on my make-up the day of the wedding. The secret: Megan did my make-up, and FAKE EYELASHES, ladies! Genius. (I stole the pics of Megan and Jeremy's wedding from Facebook. Is that legal? Well, I did it.) My week at the lake was pure bliss, too....except for the 100 mosquito bites I acquired whilst hanging out on the deck with my fam. Sure was fun watching those 5 little nieces and nephews run around together (how many games of "Mr Fox, Mr Fox" did we play, really?) and just absolutely refreshing to spend time with the sibs and the 'rents. Good people, that family of mine. Hm.....blessed beyond measure. Back in Cali for a few weeks - lots of hanging out with Kylie - trying on the bridesmaid dress I will be wearing in her wedding in....17 days...? Dinner with Brittany, Women's event with Whitney at her church, dinner and FUN with Megan and Liz....and tomorrow = my first time to the beach this whole summer! WOO HOO! Some thoughts...Corey Montieth died a few days ago. I was so sad when I found out. Then I found out that he died because he was searching for meaning, joy, and fun by doing drugs and drinking alcohol. So unfortunate. Just sad, really. Reminds me of how important it is to have a relationship with Christ - for those days and nights when you feel you are at your worst...when you are so lonely, so heartbroken, so joy-less. A woman who spoke at the women's even the other night said this, and I love it. "I can't be good enough or bad enough to change the depth of God's love for me." Isn't that beautiful? Other wanderings....I actually CAN be in 2 weddings, travel home, travel to our family reunion (next weekend!), take 3 grad classes, and somehow remain semi-sane! Can you believe it? :) I am not saying I love having assignments for 3 classes due every week...and I am not saying that I have understood every word of "The Outrageous Idea of Christian Scholarship" that I have had to read each week...but I am making it. 2.5 weeks to go, folks. Then just a bunch more work this school year, and then by next May I will be able to say I am a Master. :) ha ha ha ha. Speaking of school....I got the best news yesterday. I AM ONLY TEACHING 5 CLASSES NEXT YEAR!!!! I will never again have a day in which I teach all the way through with no break. I will not come home and sleep for 12 hours (well, that is up for debate, actually.) I went in to school yesterday to pick up my Ipad (yep, you heard that right), and just quietly asked my administrator, "Hey, do you happen to know my teaching schedule for the year?" and he walked over to his massive whiteboard with everyone's names and teaching periods...and look there! I have 2, count 'em, 2 prep periods this year! Not only that, but one of those prep times is 7th period. ROCK ON. God is good. (For the record: God is good ALL the time....whether I am teaching 6 classes or 5...or unemployed....or whatever. All the time, God is good.) Well, "The Outrageous Idea of Christian Scholarship" isn't going to read itself...time to get back at it. Nice chatting with you all.

No comments: