Friday, January 18, 2013

Getting real for a second.

Did I tell you that we had final exams this week? One of my Facebook status updates said something like, "Best. Week. Ever. Final Exams. Let the kids do some work for once!" and it turns out...no...this was not the best week ever. No teaching? Correct. That was a nice change of pace, to be sure. But giving final exams, proctoring final exams, and now GRADING final exams = NOT the best time of my life. HA! Not to mention that there are inevitable hiccups to giving and proctoring exams - always. For example...I did not give enough copies of my exam to one entire class period - and they could not find me for...about 20 minutes. So 3 of my precious kiddos just had to sit around and wait for me to get the memo, make more copies, and run them over to the room! Or, how about this one? On the original schedule we received, it said that my 6 classes of kiddos would be in rooms ___, ___, ___, ___, ___, and ___. Turns out, though, when I went to room ___, there was in fact ANOTHER final going on in there, NOT mine. Then I checked the UPDATED schedule of the week. Oops. Wrong room. Sorry, kids! What else? Oh, grading 6 classes of exams is not a walk in the park. A few hours here, a few hours there, and pretty soon I am sweating, uncomfortable, thirsty, hungry, and bored. Good thing it is only Friday night...and grades are not due until Tuesday morning. (Yes, you guessed it...I am sitting home on a Friday night grading...er...blogging)! Another one of my status updates ths week on the good ol' Facebook was this question: "Should I get a tattoo?" (although I am pretty sure I spelled it "tatoo" which is really embarrassing.) Anyway...all of 6 people commented, and after a few funny texts from my sis...I obviously decided that getting a tattoo is not the best decision. I guess it is just that I kind of want a CHANGE. I want something NEW. I want something FUN and EXCITING in life! Perhaps a tattoo is too permanent of a change...yes, it is too permanent. Ah well.... I have attended 2 parties this week! One was yesterday - a lunch with some special ladies at school, and today was a baby shower for another co-worker. The lunch consisted of women who, at the beginning of the semester, said they wanted to have (and be) a secret prayer pal to another lady on campus. My person was Kelly - and apparently she had me figured out LONG ago. My super neat handwriting gave me away...that and the fact that I gave her a scarf that looks a little too similar to one that I own myself. Shoot. The person who had me did a great job - I really did not know who it was, until yesterday! Her name is Cherri, and she works in our Admin office. It was a fun little get-together yesterday. Today was actually a co-ed baby shower, which made it a bit more interesting. The comments coming from the daddy-to-be were pretty hilarious. Of course I cannot think of any off the top of my head...but just trust me on that one. :) Maybe you already knew this, but this week it has been GLORIOUS in SoCal. I think it got up to 70 or something the past few days. Which meant, that this afternoon, some gal pals and I found a table outside near a fountain and chit-chatted for a few hours soaking up the rays. It was awesome. I am honestly thinking of hitting up the beach tomorrow...maybe bring my running stuff...? What else could I have to do? (besides all that grading....) Can I just get real for a second here? Alright, so I always thought that I'd like...be married...with a kid or two...by the time I hit 29 years of age (which is happening in a month!) however, at this point in time...that is obviously not the case. Now, don't get me wrong, I am so so so thankful for the single life - taking naps whenever (and for however long) I desire, going on random trips here and there, etc etc. But sometimes, I just kinda wish this fabulous Mr. whoever would stop me at Starbucks and say, "Hey pretty lady, can I buy you a latte?" So anyway, I have been thinking a lot about this lately (probably because 29 years of age is going to be completed soooooon!), and probably because a LOT of my pals are now married/getting married. I was driving to work this morning thinking about my prospective Mr. Fabulous and was kind of sad/frustrated that I haven't met him yet. Then this thought popped into my head: "Allison, remember when you didn't have a JOB? And you thought you were gonna move to Michigan and live with Heidi and Nate? You thought you'd never get a teaching job in California. God was with you during the entire waiting process and at just the right time, HIS time, you got this job. Then again, at just the right time, you found a new place to live - 4 minutes from work. Now, don't you think God is going to lead you to the right Mr. Fabulous at JUST THE RIGHT TIME?" Alright, okay, fine. I will keep trusting. I will keep walking. I will keep living the single life for all it is worth (within reason...come on, it's a Friday night at 9pm and I am at home grading...how crazy can I get?), and continue to learn more about the God who has created me exactly as I was meant to be - for His purpose and glory. And the grading continues...:)

1 comment:

momma k said...

Listen to Clare Bowen sing "When the Right One Comes Along." She is on the TV show Nashville, but I saw her on The View.