Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Finding the humor...

Zero patience? Check. Exhaustion? Check. Pony-tail hair every day? Check. IV of Starbucks coffee? I wish. :) What am I....a mom of toddlers? Nope. Just a teacher at the end of the school year. HA! HA! HA! I can take joy in many things, and for that I am thankful. Health, family, good friends, funny YouTube videos, and of course my friends John Stewart and Steven Colbert (and their hilarious 'news' shows). Today's chapel speaker talked about anxiety...referring to Philippians chapter 4 where it says we are to "rejoice always," and we are to "no be anxious about anything." So for that 55 minutes, I had next to no anxiety. I thought about his message - that God created us to be peaceful people....and I was at peace. Then, welcome to 6th period...and 7th period..and after school...kiddos coming to my room saying, "Ms. K. My dad is not going to let me come back to this school if I do not get a C or better in your class. Is there any extra credit I can do?" Bah! If you came into my classroom right now, you would probably want to walk right back out. Seriously. (I kind of just want to leave and not look back....) This place is a den of projects - so many projects - all over the place. Projects that somehow need to be graded...um...soon! 5 classes of kiddos wrote children's stories in Spanish. They are fun. They are cute. I do not want to grade them. 1 class of kiddos did projects on Argentina/a novel we read in class. They are fun. They are (sort of) cute. I do not want to grade them. Ha! I wrote the lyrics of a song out for a friend today to hang in her classroom. Then I wrote them on another piece of paper to hang in my own room. We sing this song at my church. Here is what I am trying to etch into my heart for these last few weeks of school: "Here is your God, mighty to save, He's still the one God, the true God, forever the same. Trust Him alone, call on His name..." There are some other words in there, but I am just learning the song at my church on Sundays...so it's hard to remember every word in the haze of my school days. The idea is there, though....we have such a great high priest - who sympathizes with us in our weaknesses - in fact, He calls us to draw near to Him...and to find our joy, rest, and peace within His throne room - and we are all welcome there...any time of day....even when we are surrounded by kiddos who are asking for more extra credit - just a few points - at the end of a very long year. I am laughing out loud as I type this post. You just never know what you're gonna get when you teach the teenage kids in SoCal. You never know. I am thankful that I can laugh about it, otherwise I'd probably be crying...! :) Life. Is. Good. God. Is. Mighty. To. Save.

No comments: