Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Um...a little help, brother Zack?

I had to get home fast to write this - because I didn't want to forget about it. (no, I did not speed or break any other traffic violations in order to get home....went through traffic school once...NEVER again!)

I was on my way to the pharmacy to pick up some medication (nothing new...) and just thinking, "I do not want to do this. I am so sick of picking up medication. I am sick of paying for it," etc. etc. etc. I went to pick it up anyway, and as I got to the line, a woman jumped in line in front of me and I heard her say something in Spanish, like, "Let me" so I "let her," no big deal. She goes up to the line, and I get called up soon after. As I am standing in line waiting for my medication, I hear one pharmacist say to someone in the back, "Consult in Spanish" and my ears perked up. I have seen a woman at this particular pharmacy do Spanish consults all the time, so I expected to see her. It was not the usual lady, today, though. Another woman comes over and doesn't really say anything in Spanish, just turns the bottle of pills over in her hand and says "For depression..." and then looks at the lady getting my medication and says, "How do you say 'do you have any questions?' in Spanish?" Oh my word. I thought for a split second about privacy and legal medical stuff, but my Spanish instincts kicked in and overruled that legal sense (um...a little help from Z would be nice here....) and I said to the woman in line, "Usted tiene preguntas? Sabe todo lo que necesita para la medicina?" And the woman looks and me and explained she has taken this medication before, and she doesn't have any questions. The pharmacist puts her medicine away and the woman turns to me and says "Muchas gracias," and I say "De nada, que tenga buena noche usted." The pharmacist assisting me says, "We all need to learn Spanish back here (meaning behind the counter)" and I refrained from my soap box of "I am a Spanish teacher, and yes, I agree everyone behind this counter should learn to communicate with their VERY WIDE patient base here in southern California." Now...was that the right thing to do? Will I get in legal trouble for this action? As I walked out I was thanking God for the interaction and the way He so perfectly orchestrates even the smallest details of our lives, and excited to tell my students about it tomorrow (that is, unless Z emails me tonight and tells me it is highly illegal and I should probably give him a call.....)

In other news.....I leave for Jackson, Mississippi in less than 48 hours!!! (PS - I always write the entire word of Mississippi because it's fun to say in my head as I type....and because I don't know the abbreviation for it...) One of my students who is also going on the trip asked me today if I am excited and if I'd started packing yet. She said, "Only one suitcase? Miss Kleinsasser, I am not going to be able to fit all my stuff in ONE suitcase!" I told her, well, chica, ya better make it work. She obviously has never been to the BWCA with the Kleinsasser family in which we pack sweatpants and athletic shorts in a GARBAGE BAG! Ha! If she only knew....

That's all for now - gotta get something to eat before small group tonight! Paz afuera.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I think it was the right thing to do! Legal things aside, if she DID have a question about the medication and was too scared to ask, something could have happened to her. It didn't seem to be the case that time, but you never know. Kudos to you!
Love, KT