Monday, August 24, 2009

Green Lake, "the event", and mom's b-day.






















Greetings faithful blog readers!! This blog post is long overdue...but I have been having so much fun this summer I just haven't had time to sit down and write. Since my last post, I have done a lot of traveling and seeing super fun people. In July, I went home to MN for about a week to see my fam and hang out at Green Lake. Highlights from that trip were seeing my nieces Sasha and Alexis and my nephew Charlie, riding in my dad's mazda miata with Nate and Lora (separate times...the car only holds 2!), guitar playing around the fire, talks with the girls about new adventures ;), and some all around quality time with the fam. Plus I got to have a girls night with my high school friends back in CG.

I was only home in southern Cali for a few days before I went to Bakersfield, CA. I led worship for a youth retreat held by my old small group leaders Tracey and Bryan. It was cool to hear how God is working in the lives of their youth group kids while attempting to lead worship Jim Ott style. Also I started reading a new book, inspired by my roommate Kristen called Do Hard Things. It's a good one.

Last week I had the opportunity to visit my good friend from high school Katie. She lives up in northern California on a military base with her husband Sean, and we had the best time. Between walking the dog, hiking, coffee outings, and eating yummy food, we had the chance to reminisce and look at old pictures. I wish I could post one of those pictures on here....on second thought...maybe not. Let's just say we've grown up a bit. :)

Well - I guess it's about time I write about the newest "event" in my life (as my dad says). Back in June I started dating a guy from my church - his name is Aaron (this is where you can freak out...cause I kind of am!) I don't want to bore you with all the mushy details....so here's a (somewhat) short version...We met at church last January/February, where I so candidly inturrupted a conversation Aaron was having with a friend of mine. The two of them were talking about swing dancing, so I casually jumped in and said, "Swing dancing? I'd like to go swing dancing sometime!" Not really knowing what else to do, Aaron looked at me and said, "Uh, hi, I'm Aaron..." After a brief conversation, I soon learned that Aaron had a job at Starbucks (!) and liked to go swing dancing. Enough said. :)

Just kidding...so, a group of us went swing dancing a few weeks later. After that Aaron and I met for coffee a few times to talk about books, music, coffee, church, whatever. All the while, I was just happy to have a new friend - someone with whom to chat about Donald Miller and Shane Claiborne...but when I got back from Boston, Aaron asked me if there was anything else I like to do besides get coffee. Before I knew it, I was nervously picking out my outfit all while trying to "play it cool" before our first date!! Since then, it's been a summer of new adventures...going to the beach, walking around an apple orchard, talking over coffee, making dinner, watching The Office (I got him hooked!), and a lot of growing and learning.

Let me just say...back in May when I was attempting to survive my first year as a high school teacher, I never would have imagined that I would be sitting here...two weeks before the start of another school year...talking about a guy I am dating. But, let me also say, that this is all God's doing. I know what you're probably thinking, "Easy to say that now, Allison, you've got it made!" But for real - this is totally a God thing. And here's how I know: Back in January, the plan was to coach track, then raise money for another El Salvador trip, then wake up every day at 6:30 and run with my XC girls, go to XC camp and El Salvador, and begin another crazy year of teaching. INSTEAD...I developed lots of pain, which made have to say no to coaching track, and no to an El Salvador trip, and no to coaching XC this coming fall. WHICH meant...time and space in which to get to know Aaron. Were I healthy enough to run right now, I'd be coaching. Were I coaching right now, I'd be tired and stressed out. Were I tired and stressed out, I would've said no to a date with Aaron. See?? In Revelation, Jesus says, "Behold, I am making everything new!" And just look! He really is making everything new in my life! I don't deserve it, but humbly accept the blessing upon blessing (John 1:16)

One more thing...I could not end this blog post today without mentioning my mom. It's her birthday today, and she deserves the BEST because she is the best mom ever. Can I just say; banana chocolate chip muffins, super cheerleader, 5am grocery runs, 5am airport runs, best line dance teacher, most creative PE teacher...I could go on. Happy Birthday, mom! I love you! (PS: I STILL don't have the picture/writing placement down yet...sorry!)

2 comments:

squarebreak said...

Wow you made my day. I am so happy for you.

Ariana Espiritu said...

Ms. K, its so nice to hear you're having a great summer. And "the event" isn't so awful to hear either ;)I'm excited to read about what God has in store for you this year :)